Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Thanksgiving Challenge

So here I sit, with a sugar hangover.

We hardly had any trick-or-treaters, so quickly, I bagged up our Halloween candy and put it away, and I'll bring it out in a month or so for Lee's pinata at his birthday party.  Handy, how that works out!  If I don't bag it up and designate it for another use, it'll be eaten, and believe me...we've had enough.

Sugar Hangover aside, Halloween is just plain fun.  We boycotted it for a few years, fearing that by participating we were inadvertently supporting the dark undertones of a holiday originally devoted to Satan and his minions.  But, at some point we realized that Halloween has morphed, and is a big part of American culture that has nothing to do with Baal, and when we participate, we are joining in on the fun of universal silliness.  And though I agree with Bono about the future needing a big kiss, I also stand behind the idea that the present needs a good laugh.  So break out the face paint, the wigs, the capes, and the candy.  Lots of candy.  And although the sugar hangover leaves me a little loopy, it also leaves me with a big smile on my face.  We had fun.

My sisters and I dressed as s'mores.

But alas, Halloween was so yesterday!  It's November, now.  We're on to something else.  Something new.  Something better.  Thanksgiving.

There is a little girl in Lee's class who has immigrated here to American from Egypt.  She just learned English 10 months ago.  Prior to coming here, she only spoke Arabic and French.  Poor dear.  But, working with her in the Advanced Reading program, it is a delight to see her little mind hard at work, learning not only the comprehension questions from the story in her book, but to also understand the words.

Today she tested on a Thanksgiving book.  It reminded me of my Elena, who was with us from Germany one Thanksgiving many years ago.  It was so much fun to teach her about a holiday that is so American, and so drenched in qualities that better us all.  Like Elena, I taught this little girl about the concept of Thanksgiving, and I enjoyed seeing her eyes light up as I explained it, and told her about this American custom.  She was lost when it came to the Pumpkin Pie, though.  That is something she just needs to experience.

The concept of being thankful is one that benefits us all so much more than big kisses, or hearty laughs.  Because, no matter our circumstances, gratitude is something we should always search for.  And the beautiful part of that is that the process of that search brings us many more reasons for which to be thankful.

So I offer us all a challenge.  As October is designated as a fun month planning, and thinking about what we will wear on the 31st, November is a month where we can ponder and consider the many things for which we are thankful, culminating in a celebration complete with turkey and that mysterious pumpkin pie.  Why don't we, starting this 1st day of November, write down something we're thankful for each day, and then share it with someone?

In fact, I just got a great idea this very second.  I'd like to offer my thanks in this blog, where I expand on something that has brought my heart gratitude, each of the days leading up to Thanksgiving.  Coming up with something each day won't be the challenge for me.  The challenge will be writing every day!  Especially lately, where the busy, busy, busy demands of my life have left me unable to write hardly at all.  But, this is a commitment that I will make, today, and I will do my best to keep my commitment.

So.  Day 1.  Tessa's Driver's License.

I am thankful for Tessa's driver's license.

With my sugar hangover, I've been sluggish today.  I didn't even feel like working in Lee's class, but I did.  Or picking Abi and him up from school.  But I did.  Or taking Danielle to class, but I did.  Or stopping in at Fresh and Easy to find something for dinner, but I did.  Or taking Tessa to class.  So I didn't...she drove.  Sweet Driver's Licenses!!  And even better, she will bring both Danielle and herself home after their classes are over.

Now, that's a reason to be thankful!

Think about your reasons for thankfulness.  Discuss them with your friends and family every day this month.  And my bet is that once Thanksgiving comes around in 4 Thursdays, you will have a holiday that is meaningful far beyond the stuffing and mashed potatoes.

Oh, and my German niece Elena...just because you're back home doesn't mean you can't celebrate right along with us.  I expect it.  Write me for some recipes...we'll get you set up.

Happy Month of Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment