Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Day #2 A Son Who is 6'2"

Reason to be Thankful #2:  Having a Son Who is 6'2".

But first, the back story.

So, there is this little disability I have that is usually nothing more than a nuisance most of the time, but once in a while, it becomes a real problem.  I don't even have a name for it.  I guess we can call it...Carpal Tunnel-Like Symptoms and After-Effects of Pregnancies With Said Un-Named Ailment.

When I was pregnant, I would develop this problem where my hands and forearms thought I had full-fledged Carpal Tunnel.  I'd wake up to aching arms and hands, numb finger tips, and pain and immobility of my fingers.  I had to wear braces on my hands while sleeping, otherwise the pain would wake me.

Once the baby would be born, my condition would improve.  But, even still, I've been left with a few residual left overs.  Puffy fingers.  Limited dexterity.  Occasional pain.

If I find myself doing anything that requires prolonged use of my hands such as painting a room, or writing party invitations, or cutting out, say, craft pieces, I see my symptoms flare up.  Last week I made 2 price signs for Lee's Halloween Carnival at school.  I also prepped a craft for the 24 students in his class.  This involved cutting.  Lots of cutting.  Never once did I think about what would happen to my hands, or remember that such activities can be later regretted.

Sadly, my hands didn't forget.  I woke up Friday morning with terrible pain in both hands, radiating all the way up to my elbows.  I couldn't close my hands, and even holding a toothbrush posed a challenge.  Saturday morning was worse.  It's Wednesday now, and though symptoms have improved slightly, I still can't depend on my hands for much of anything.  Thank GOD I can type!

Oh!  It's a Twofer, isn't it?  I'm thankful for Adam being 6'2", and I am thankful that I can still type!!  Which brings me to my need to explain why it is that Adam's elevation has anything at all to do with my complaints of aches and pains.

We had a large family Halloween party over the weekend, and I had 4 crystal bowls that still needed to be put away yesterday.  Stacking bowls, and climbing up so that I can reach the top shelf is a dangerous task when I can not only properly hold the bowls, but neither could I depend on my hands to support my weight, if I were to lose my balance and attempt to catch myself from falling.  So, HATING to ask for help, I've put it off in hopes that I'd improve.  But, my hands aren't cooperating, and I needed those bowls put away.

Enter my Adam.  And his altitude.

He didn't even have to stand on his tippy-toes, and asking him for help didn't kill me after all, so it was all good.

It comes in handy to have tall people in my life.  Heck, it comes in handy to have Adam in my life.

I'm so thankful for my son.  He's as good, or better, than he is tall.

A young man who has a heart that exceeds his height.  A young man who is head and shoulders above other young men his age.  A young man who blesses his mother daily with his spiritual, emotional, mental, and yes...physical growth.  Because at 17 years of age, I do believe there could very well be some more growing going on there.  Which means that as long as he is around, the top of my fridge will always be cleaned, Christmas lights will get hung, and nobody will try to mug his mama.  He's a built-in body guard.

As much as I hate to ask for help, if I'm going to ask, I feel like I can ask my Adam.  His sweet spirit, and willingness to help, always, makes me feel so much less inhibited about asking, if I really, really have to.

So am I thankful that I have a son who is 6'2", or am I thankful that I have Adam?  The one who wears his height well?  It's Adam, obviously.  I'm thankful for Adam.  For who he is.

And that I can type.

No comments:

Post a Comment