Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Owning My Lack of Photographic Skill

Photography isn't my thing.

We were on a Whale Watching vessel in the waters off Maui, during the migrating season of the Humpback Whales.  Never mind the fact that our Maui Hostess' house sits on the Pacific Ocean with a daily backyard view of whales.  Once we were on that boat, we knew we would be in for a treat--up close and personal visuals of those magnificent creatures.

A mama and her baby were really close, swimming around right in front of us.  We were up on the rows of seats above the boat floor, with a perfect, unobstructed view.  They were playing and then they dived. With cameras in hand pointing right to them, we were ready when they breached.  Full-on beauty, rising above the waters with force and grace that takes your breath away.  Click.  Snap.  The entire boat erupted in cheers, as we were given the Pacific Life Insurance whale-shot everyone hopes for when they go to Maui.  Happy we were treated to the spectacle, I enthusiastically looked down to my viewer to re-live the moment in captured photographic history, when...oh...no, no, no, no!!!  I had a perfect shot...of the heads of the people standing down on the boat floor.



Today was Abi's 7th grade awards ceremony.  She was awarded for academic excellence, and excellent citizenship.  Images of the lists of students' names were projected on the big screen, and try as I might, I snapped just after the list with Abi's name would fade and the next list would appear.  It's a gift.



I have an appreciation for photography, just like I have an appreciation for great art, but can't create it, and I have an appreciation for music, but can't play it.  My sisters are AMAZING photographers, and I always enjoy seeing what they capture at any event we share in.  In fact, I depend on them to be the there, with their cameras pointed.

It's good to know what we can do, and then do it.  It's also good to know what we can't do, and then stop sweating it.  Laugh!  Enjoy all that we can from life, or the given situation, and find ways to soak it in and let it last.  It's yet another aspect of life's enjoyment, and it helps us to remember that our world consists of so many variations of talent...and that it isn't limited to only the things we can muster up ourselves.

I do have a nice shot of Abi taken after she received her certificates and medal.  You'll see I'm in it...yes, my sister Misti took it!!

1 comment:

  1. O.k., I can NOT just post, "lol", because I think it is used to much, by me as well, when we really did not "laugh out loud". BUT...I did! You crack me up! Kristi, you did capture the heads of happy people that more than likely captured the shot! I am sorry that I forgot my camera, which is NOT like me, but hey, I had to get up REAL early to get to Abi's ceremony this morning! Glad the picture from your phone worked! =)

    ReplyDelete