Saturday, June 11, 2011

School's Out!!!

Even though my phone alerts tell me on Saturday and Sunday that it's time to pick up Abi and Lee from school, and they of course don't go to school on the weekends, I'm not letting myself remove them from my phone until Monday, our official First Day of Summer!!  I know.  I'm a total dork.

But it's fun to look forward to things, even if what I look forward to may seem small to the naked eye.  But to my fully-clothed eye, Monday marks the beginning to a much-needed respite from the hustle-and-bustle of our 2010-2011 school year, and that is something to celebrate.

As excited as we all have been to see the beginning of summer to arrive, I'd have to admit that there was a surprisingly large amount of sadness at by the time Friday arrived.  Abi and Lee are sad to have to say good-bye to friends for 2 1/2 months.  Really?  Abi was at a friend's house last night, and Hugo and I spent this afternoon at a backyard birthday party for a set of twins in Lee's class, with several of his closest friends from Kindergarten.  Cell numbers have long ago been exchanged, and soft plans have been made for many outings together over the break.  We didn't wait until next week--we started this weekend!

Me?  I was surprised at how sad I was.  Mrs. Lamb, Lee's Kindergarten teacher, made the most amazing Memory Book for each of the kids, with artwork, classwork, and photos chronicling the events of the year from the first day of school to the end of the year.  Looking through both the Memory Book, and the Year Book, I saw one beautiful memory after another beautiful memory.  And not only did I get to see those memories captured in the two books, but I got to experience them as well, as I had the opportunity to participate in his class so often.

One day this last week, I was so overwhelmed with gratitude for Hugo's sacrifices for us, and for all that he does to make us a family, that I posted on Facebook how thankful I am that he provides for us so that I can be home to raise our kids.

Now, why was I sad?  Obviously, none of these things make me sad.  I think it was the comparison of the blessing of this year with years past.  Remembering how hard 2006-2010 were for the kids and me will always make me sad, and remembering that there is so much that I fully missed, or have blocked out of my mind in those years makes me sad.  Knowing that this is the first year that I was really involved in Abi's school year since I had to stop homeschooling her in 2006 makes me sad.

But I haven't stayed there.  I'm out of the pit of despair (or The Pit of Despair said in a raspy, British-accented voice for Princess Bride fans), but when I look back down into it, it still hurts a little.  I look down into that murky, dark pit, I remember the pain and the...OK, there is no better word than "despair," so I'm going to use it again...despair.  It's still so soon.  We've only been out for a little while.

The cool thing is being on this side--the topside--and being able to see all the growth and good that have come from something so horrible.  That REALLY keeps me positive.

No, the sadness that I found was simply seeing an end to what was a tremendously crazy-awesome year.  As much as I was ready for it to be all over, I will miss it.

Abi had three stand-out teachers this year that blow me away with their dedication and impact on her life.  Mr. Almanza (Math), Mrs. Schmalzbach (Choir), and Mrs. Shaw (Homeroom/English).  Loud, loud shouts-out to all three.  When I stop and ponder the workings of God in making sure that Abi was placed in each of their classes, I know that she is in His hands.  She was taken to heights even she didn't know she could climb.  But these three educators knew, and they helped her along the whole way.  They are amazing.

Then there's Mrs. Lamb.  It was embarrassing, I'd imagine, for the other Kindergarten teacher at the awards ceremony when the kids went up to collect their awards.  There were sooooooo many more high-achieving kids in Mrs. Lamb's class than there were in the other Kinder class.  And it wasn't because Mrs. Lamb lucked out with the Cream of the Crop, while the other one got the dregs of Glendora.  There was plenty of talent in the other class as well.  It's just that Mrs. Lamb is bad-ass, and she keeps the kids in line.  And the parents!  Our kids are well-equipped for 1st grade both academically and emotionally.

It was a perfect year.  It's always hard to see something perfect end.

But when Monday hits, and my first phone alert sounds for me to go pick-up the kids, I'll gladly, gladly delete the reminders.  And I'll do something else.  Anything else.  While smiling.

1 comment:

  1. Cheers to a great year!! Enjoy your summer with your kids home! :)

    ReplyDelete