Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Going into Battle and Coming Out Alive

Veterans Day started to mean more to me after I had children.

We used to homeschool in Nebraska, and were involved in a homeschool group.  One our annual activities was to get the kids together for a few weeks leading up to Veterans Day so that they could learn classic Patriotic songs to sing to the Veterans at the nursing home and Senior Center.

When Abi was old enough to participate with Tessa and Adam, I would dress her little pre-school self in her cutest red, white, and blue dress, with her red sparkly Dorothy shoes, and a sweet little Navy blue bow in her hair.  She would catch the eye of many a Veteran, and before we knew it she would be cozying up to them next to their wheelchairs.

I loved it that my kids learned these wonderful songs.  I loved it that as they sang these songs, the eyes of our aged Servicemen would moisten with tears, and they would recall stories of camaraderie and grit and share them with the kids who, at that time, hadn't known war in their lifetime.

It has always interested me how intensely connected Veterans of War are.  To serve in combat situations with others, endure the hardships and sacrifice while building each other up, and then to come out of it alive, seems to create a bond that is closer than anything the rest of us can understand.

As we celebrated our Veterans yesterday, I couldn't help but tie in that analogy to Crisis.

When we go through a time that is difficult...divorce, financial upheaval, death of a loved one, addiction...anything that tests the depths of our energy and survival instinct, when we come through such times as these with our trusted inner-circle, we find that we have a united bond that is strong, and forever holds us together.

I sat with my adult children yesterday on Veterans Day and we brainstormed a battle plan for our family.  Our expenses have increased, and we need to increase our income.

Let me say it here.  In case you have never heard it said before or experienced it firsthand, financial shortcomings are quite stressful.  I know.  Duh.

So, as we journey through the stresses of needing to increase our income, I offered my adult kids a little pep talk.  I asked them what they want our history to be.  It could go like this:  "Wow, remember 10 years ago when we needed to increase our income?  Man.  Mom and Papi were stressed-out jerks back then."  Or, it could go like this:  (Cue upbeat, hopeful acoustic guitar music.)  "Wow, remember 10 years ago when we needed to increase our income?  We got creative, we worked together, and we all found ways to bring in the extra money we needed."

When a family, or a trusted inner-circle unite to traverse through adversity, it creates in that unit a closeness that bonds them for life.  In my family, I want nothing less.

I want nothing less than to see my family endure the hardships and sacrifices of life while building each other up.  I want to see my family come out of it alive, and I want to see the bond it creates--a bond that is closer than anything we could have ever imagined.


So to the financial challenges, and anything else that creates stress in our life, I say BRING IT!  Because  rather than eyeing the enemy, turning and running in the opposite direction, I'd rather we face the Giant, link arms, and push ahead.  The battle might be bloody, but we will survive.  

No comments:

Post a Comment