Sunday, September 16, 2012

On Assignment, Part 2



Mike Runner is my Sunday Guest Contributor, and he brings a perspective to Wings Like Eagles that is unique and challenging. 

I normally cover topics relating to the horror of having someone else bring darkness into the home.  Mike covers the same topics, but from a completely different angle.  He was the one who brought darkness to his family.  Mike is an alcoholic.

It is my hope that the perception of what we think we know about Family Crisis is shaken up a bit.  Because there is far more involved than we think.  Much can be understood by examining the other side, and I deeply appreciate Mike's willingness to help us gain understanding as he shares with us the mind as it is affected by alcoholism.

He isn't just an alcoholic.  He is an intelligent mind, has a bright, hopeful future, and he is my friend.  And this is his story.




I tell my story because I have gone places where other people need not go.  If you have been where I have been physically, spiritually or emotionally, you need not go back.  If you are currently there, I give you permission to stop and get out.  Many alcoholics have far worse stories than I do.   If I ever pick up another drink, the stories will get worse.  They always do.  

I tell my story so that you can understand some alcoholics never intended to get as bad as we did.  Some never intended to hurt the ones we loved and some of us know that you tried everything.  

I tell the story because I want you to know that no matter how far down you or a loved one has gone, there is hope.  I will continue to repeat these things because the idea of even a glimmer of hope has been destroyed in many, as it was with me.  

Though I cannot say I have enjoyed some of the consequences of my drinking, I can tell you that there is nothing that I could go through sober, that is worse than the deepest despair of alcoholism.  Financial consequences, jail, not driving; these things are difficult, but minor compared to the misery of being the walking corpse I was at my worst. 

I cannot say I am always happy now.  I go through my ups and downs like everyone else.  What I am is grateful.  I am also content, joyous, and peaceful.  I never thought that I would feel these things again.  

It is interesting that the Bible tells us to seek such things.  It never says to seek happiness.  Some situations in life are just not happy.  

I am very much at odds with what I call “modern psychology.”  Look on Facebook and you will see many examples of it daily.  Put yourself first and do things to make yourself happy even if you hurt people in the process.  I talked to a friend a while back who had been in therapy for over a year.  I asked her if she had made amends to another person close to me that I thought she had hurt.  She responded, “no, this has been about me.”  

The Bible and AA have taught me differently.  About 10% of the book of Alcoholics Anonymous is stopping the drinking.  The other 90% is about how to change your life.  At the end of things, both books say the way to be fulfilled is to be of maximum service to God and to help other people.  The more we do this and take the focus off of ourselves, the more joyous and peaceful we become. How simple yet how very opposite of what we hear these days.   This simple philosophy got me through my week in jail and I hopefully helped people during the process.  There are a lot of lost and unhappy campers in jail. 

One day at a time. First things first.  Keep it simple, stupid.  Easy does it.  This too shall pass.  If I go to bed sober, it will have been a good day.  It is what it is.  Progress, not perfection.  Whatever it takes.  Have an attitude of gratitude.  If you are too busy to pray, you are too busy.  Keep coming back.  It works if you work it.  Keep my side of the street clean.  Let go, let God.

These are all expressions you will hear and see on the walls of recovery rooms.  I used to find them quaint but overly simplistic for someone intelligent and educated such as myself.  I was wrong.
I was doing the opposite of these things for years and didn’t realize it.  Clever me.  I over complicated everything.  I held on tightly instead of letting go and giving things to God.  I didn’t live in the day, but always in the future, and its potential negative uncertainty or in the past with its guilt and regret.  I had bitterness and little gratitude.  I didn’t work hard enough on my sobriety; I just expected things to change.   I was too impatient to deal with progress.  I wanted everything to change right now.  Now, look back up at the platitudes.  I had been doing everything I could do to ensure failure.

I will go more into my jail story next week but I will share a few things. 

I would recommend a different hotel.  The help are not necessarily the most patient, helpful and tolerant people in the world.  It is better to have a room number than to be a number.  I was number 14A41. Since no one will clean your bathrooms (there were about 50 men in the “dorm” that I was in) you do it in groups as well as clean everything else.  

On white guy cleaning day, (we were grouped by race on cleaning days), I learned that you don’t get rubber gloves for cleaning toilets, and you clean bathroom floors by overflowing the eight steel toilets and cleaning the floor with toilet water.   Perhaps I came on the week when the sanitation crew was on strike, but I was told to get used to it. 

I learned something else new.  Handcuffs are even less comfortable when you are sober.  

I will give you a little more play by play of my interesting week on "assignment" in my next column.  If I give people a good visual, perhaps people can experience it through me and decide they have no need to go themselves.  To the hurting, if I can get through this stuff and laugh, you will be able to laugh again someday as well.

You will hear it said that you have to “hit a bottom” to get sober.  That is often only thought of as a physical event.  Something terrible has to happen.  Please don’t wait for it.  For some, a bottom can be when you finally make the decision to stop digging and put down your shovel.

Next week.  On Assignment, the Conclusion.     

No comments:

Post a Comment