Monday, September 3, 2012

Living With Hyperthyroidism, A.K.A., Grave's Disease.


Tracey Anne Hallberg is my Monday Guest Contributor.  She is a survivor of Family Crisis, and proof positive that there is light on the other side.  She shares from her heart, leaving very little to the imagination.  

Her story is valid, important, and needs to be shared.  My personal journey is very different from hers, but on my journey, I have come upon many...many...who have had to live through horrors similar to the upbringing Tracey was forced to endure.  

Tracey is one of the most courageous women I have had the privilege to know, and I am honored to share Wings Like Eagles with her every Monday.

Tracey's account is graphic and raw, and is not suitable for young or sensitive readers.  I give her posts a strong PG-13 rating.



When my daughter Trinity was born, I had been going back and forth to the doctor with a list of symptoms:
  • Heart Palpitations
  • Sweats
  • Diarrhea
  • Shakes
  • Hair Loss
  • Insomnia
  • Severe Itching
  • Anxiety
  • OCD, Worse Than Ever
  • Fatigue
  • Severe Migraines
  • Rapid Weight Loss
It was like living a nightmare, and burning in hell.

I gave this list of symptoms to my doctor.  So he gave me sleeping pills, blood thinners, and migraine headache medicine.

Not ONCE did he order a blood test.  He was too busy getting kickbacks from the FDA for administering me these meds.  They often treat the symptoms, but not the problem.  

For for 6 years, I suffered.  One night, while Jason was at work, I woke up in a sweaty, nightmarish panic.  My body was shaking.  My head was pounding. My heart was on fire.

I was going to die.  Seriously.  I was also hallucinating.  As I sat up at the edge of my bed, with the room pitch black, I saw visions of melting, distorted faces.  They looked like demons.  I cried out to the Lord.  Please, God...Help me! I don't want to die!  

I looked down at my hands and legs.  They were shaking, and sweating.  My feet felt like they were detached from my body.  It was horrifying.  I remembered the prayer I loved most.  "Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For thou art with me. Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me...I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."  I asked the Lord,  "Please don't take me yet. I cannot leave my babies. They need me." 

That is when the Lord spoke to me, as He did when I was a child.  He said, "Seek Knowledge."  It was His same comforting, peaceful voice I remembered.

Seek knowledge?  What?  

OK.  I would have to move.  Fear nearly crippled me, as I shook my body down the hallway into Trinity's room where we kept our home computer.  I tried to slow my breathing.  It felt like my heart would EXPLODE.  I Googled all my symptoms. 


Hyperthyroidism.  Also known as Grave's Disease.  Common after childbirth.  Hormonal disease.  Made soooo much sense.  I prayed to make it through the night.  I sat up in my bed.  Took a blood thinner and finally drifted off to sleep.

The next day, I sped to my doctor's office.  I even got a speeding ticket!  Everything moved faster in my world. 

My doctor looked at this discovery and said, "Let's run a blood test."  Uhhh, yah.  You think?  

He said the results would come in a couple of weeks.  He called me the VERY next day.  He said, "You need to get in here right away.  Have your husband come get you.  Don't drive."

So Jason came home and rushed me to the doctor.  He said, "Your T3 levels are sky rocketed!"  I have never seen it this high in all my practice.  They are 3 times what they should be.  You have Grave's Disease.  For sure.  We are going to perform surgery to take out your thyroid.  You should not be here.  You should have had a heart attack!"

He asked me if my heart hurt. "YES," I replied.  A lot."  Then I told him, "Look.  You did not even issue a blood test, or find out what was wrong with me, for 5 years!  I could have died!  I don't trust you to cut me open.  You have lost your mind.  I am going to seek knowledge to find alternatives.   I can do this."  

He asked me, "How did you know to check your thyroid?"  I said, "Jesus told me." 

The look on his face was priceless.

I have discovered that sugar, breads, caffeine, preservatives, and added hormones are all bad for my condition, so I have eliminated what I can.  Added more fruit, vegetables, green leafy ones to be precise.  

I have found a new doctor.  One I could trust.

My last blood test was last week.  The results came in.  My doctor said that whatever I am doing is working.  My Grave's Disease in in remission.

So with THAT, I say to you, Jesus is REAL and He is alive.  Against the odds.  And so am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment