Sunday, August 5, 2012

Mike Runner Introduction, Part 2

Mike Runner brings a perspective to Wings Like Eagles that is unique and challenging. 

I normally cover topics relating to the horror of having someone else bring darkness into the home.  Mike covers the same topics, but from a completely different angle.  He was the one who brought darkness to his family.  Mike is an alcoholic.

It is my hope that the perception of what we think we know about Family Crisis is shaken up a bit.  Because there is far more involved than we think.  Much can be understood by examining the other side, and I deeply appreciate Mike's willingness to help us gain understanding as he shares with us the mind as it is affected by alcoholism.

He isn't just an alcoholic.  He is an intelligent mind, has a bright, hopeful future, and he is my friend.  And this is his story.



Reflexions and the Confession of an Alcoholic Corpse 

I should not be a recovering alcoholic.   It doesn’t make any sense.  Alcoholics are people who are unshaven, disheveled, have had terrible childhoods and drink out of brown paper bags.  

One of my main goals in writing this column is to destroy the stereotype of what an alcoholic is so that normal people who are alcoholics or have a loved one is an alcoholic, can come out in the open and let go of the stigma and the shame.   Alcoholism doesn’t care who you are.  It doesn’t care if you are black or white, if you are a Christian or an atheist, whether you are male or female, if you are rich or poor, whether you are 17 or 87.  It is an equal opportunity destroyer.
    
When I was 8 years old I wanted to be a paleontologist.  I liked dinosaurs.  When I was 16, I wanted to be a youth pastor.  At no time in my childhood or teen years do I ever remember telling myself that it would be fun to grow up and be an alcoholic.  Nor do I remember thinking how fulfilling it would be to become the proverbial tornado in a trailer park, both destroying myself and damaging the lives of those I loved.  

I have a great deal of empathy for the homeless.  They were all at one time children with hopes and dreams and something went horribly wrong.  It may have been alcoholism, drug addiction, mental illness or a combination that put them on the streets but getting there was never in their plans when they were children.  When I pass or talk to a homeless person I always tell myself, there but for the grace of God go I.  It could easily have been me standing there by the freeway off ramp.  It is a sobering thought that in the future it could be me who is holding the Hungry and homeless please help and God bless sign.  

At this point, my thoughts are going to jump around a bit.  The first reason for that is, well, my thoughts jump around a bit.  The second reason is that this is how my life was.  There was a roller coaster at Six Flags in California called Déjà vu.  You went on this crazy roller coaster, sometimes upside down, through a loop, then up to the top of a steep hill and then you went back through the ride backwards but things were in a different order.  There was no place to put your feet.  They just dangled out there in the air.  It’s the best analogy I can think of as to how my life went for many years.  Up, down, through loops, backward through the same loops, nothing grounded, fear, mind racing, anxiety, etc.
 
As we work through my story, some questions will arise.  What exactly does the ism mean in alcoholism?  How do I know if I or someone close to me is an alcoholic?  What should family members or friends do, or not do?  Is alcoholism really a disease?  What is Alcoholics Anonymous?  What are the mysterious 12 steps?  Can an alcoholic ever be cured?  With everything that has happened in the past, why would a person not stop when they know more bad things will happen?  The biggest question of all is simply, why?  We will work through the questions based on my experience and through the shared and written experiences of others.  There are and have been millions like me. 

Next week I will begin my story in linear order.  From how I got started, to where I am today.  

Humor is important in recovery so I will share some specific stories as I go along.  This is one for today.  A sober friend of mine says that he knows he is allergic to alcohol because every time he drinks he would break out in handcuffs.  Though I have law enforcement stories of my own (within 10 years I had 3 DUIs, and 2 drunk in publics), I would more often end up in an emergency room.  

About 7 years ago I ended up in an emergency room after drinking heavily.  Drunk people annoy emergency room employees because they have better things to deal with than someone’s self inflicted drunkenness.  After they were done with me, they moved me out of my specific space and into the main emergency room so they could treat others while I awaited a ride home.  I was on a gurney, still drunk, and rather bored.  I discovered a fun game that emergency people don’t much care for.  I decided to pull the sheet up over my head and be very still, so people would think I was a corpse.  I suppose it is rather disconcerting for people coming into the emergency room and seeing a dead person on a gurney in the middle of the ER.  For an hour or so the nurses and I played this game.  I would pull the sheet over my head and the nurse would come take it off.  Eventually, my wife came and picked me up and failed to see the humor in my game.  When I pulled my shaky, sweaty and detoxing body out of bed the next morning, the situation no longer seemed particularly funny to me either.

When I write next week I will be 26 years old again.  That’s when things began to get interesting.    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment