Wednesday, August 15, 2012

attitude schmatitude


Nah.  I'm just a little too down to write today.  It's the last day of summer vacation.  Well, for Abi and Lee, that is.  And for me.  

Tomorrow it all starts back up again.  Homework.  Backpacks.  Making lunches.  Cleaning the aftermath of a little boy's lunch out of his lunch pail.  PTA.  Oh.  No, wait.  Nice ladies.  I like the PTA part.  But the rest?  No, the rest can all just jump into a lake.  

Which, actually, is what we all should be doing, right?  It is summer, after all.  And it isn't that I don't like education, or seeing my children get theirselves all good and learned up.  It's just that I felt that I needed longer than a 6-week break, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the kids did too.  

In California, school has always started after Labor Day.  Well, last year it started the week before, I think, and I complained then.  But August 16?!  That's my dad's birthday.  We're usually planning a family dinner.  Not doing last minute school shopping.

So, blah, blah, blah.  I don't feel like writing.  Because my mom always said, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."  And my nice is on empty.

Instead, I'll share a fun but admittedly odd review from an odd, but admittedly fun place I visited.  One I had never visited before.  Ripley's Believe It or Not! Hollywood. 

Read my Life in L.A. review here.  Ripley's Hollywood is debuting their Marilyn Monroe vault full of $1 million worth of never-before displayed memorabilia.

But, wait!  There's more.  I have pictures.
(Photo Credit:  Robert Freeman)
Miss Monroe's personal trinkets

The smallest miniature Marilyn Monroe figurines are inside, and you can see them with their microscope

The last photo taken of Marilyn Monroe.   Three weeks before her death.  The sweater is there, too. 

Marilyn Monroe got married in this nightie.

If only we still had bikinis like this.  Parents of teenage daughters would feel much, much better.

There are all kinds of facts about Miss Monroe in the vault.

My poor, dear Wings Like Eagles blog has been sorely neglected as of late, and would have been even more so, had it not been for the posts from Mike Runner and Tracey Hallberg.  They continue to inspire me, teaching me so much about life, and how we can succeed in spite of a painful past.  

OK.  Now, I just got a wave of gratitude, and an adjustment in my very bad attitude.  I am very happy to have had the time together that we did this summer.  To have the break from the stress.  And I wouldn't be honest if I didn't admit that I am a little ready to be getting back to a routine again.

So, life isn't all Brimstone and Treacle.  I'll have more time to write, with the kids back in school.

We will make the most of our today.  We'll grill chicken tonight.  Observe a strict bedtime.

And rise from bed tomorrow at an hour the remnants of my denial will not yet allow me to contemplate.

No comments:

Post a Comment