Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Independence at Home

This morning I had a Facebook Messaging conversation with Danielle during the City of Ontario 4th of July Parade. I was sending her pictures of her grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, siblings, and Papi. Bringing her into our national tradition while she rested in her Florence apartment was fun, and it made it seem as though she was really with us.

It flashed me back a little to our first Independence Day in Nebraska, not long after we moved to Omaha way back in 1994. We didn't know anyone well enough yet to join in on their family celebrations, and we ourselves were used to large family gatherings, with no solitary traditions established. In short, I was painfully lonely, and I missed my family.

When it comes to holidays, Hugo's attitude is great. We both come from big, close families and it's always hard to have to divide ourselves between the two sides. But, he always looks at this dilemma as a great problem. We are wildly blessed with great family, no matter which way we look.

So, Danielle celebrates her independence by enjoying youth and European travel. And we head to a BBQ and fireworks play with my aunt and uncle, cousins, parents, sisters, and all the trimmings.

Never. Never, will I take this for granted. This is good. All of it. Especially the root beer floats.

No comments:

Post a Comment