Sunday, November 6, 2011

Day #5: My Family

Our dryer started making this shrill sound when I'd run it.  And then it wouldn't come on consistently.  My brother-in-law Raudel happened to be over, and being the super genius that he is, he figured he could get in and find the problem.  So, he and Hugo took my little Maytag apart, and sure enough, the problem was diagnosed.  I ordered the needed part, and when it arrived Raudel was back at our house again to fix it.

While the dryer was disemboweled, there was yet another part that was discovered to be in need of replacement.  So, they put everything back together, I ordered the next part needed, with instructions from Raudel to let him know when it arrives so that he could return to fix it.

In the meantime, there was this pipe that backed up, spraying water all over the place as my washing machine attempted to spin out the water.  A separate problem altogether, and wildly catastrophic, as we have 5 children and at least 3 loads of laundry a day.  It seemed as though there was a clog.  

Did I fail to  mention that the kitchen sinks were affected?  That they backed up at the same time that water sprayed all over the place next to the washing machine?  And that this new washing machine/kitchen sink deal was an entirely separate problem from the original shrill dryer noises?

Oh, and I did mention that this happened the morning of our Family Halloween party last weekend, right?  All I could think of was a major plumbing issue, 50 people, and no potties.  Thankfully, the problem self-corrected that day, and it never affected the bathroom plumbing.  But we knew we needed to give the pipes some serious attention down the road.

And who came down that road?  You guessed it.  Raudel.  He seems to be the masked man that shows up every time we find ourselves in distress.  Not that it happens a lot, but when it does, he's there.

But, he isn't the only one.  So is Uncle Tom.  He brought over 5 dining room chairs a couple of weeks ago that he put back together for us.  Chairs that we have had for many years, but keep coming apart.  He took them to his house, put them back together, and brought them back to us.  Along with a 100' hose he didn't need anymore, and a wooden Christmas Snow Family set for our yard.

He is always ready and willing to help anyone in the family who needs it.  Hot water heaters, flooring issues, fence repair, comic relief.  Tom is the guy we can always count on for anything that comes up.

In the 5 years that I have moved back to California, I have moved my children and myself 4 times.  Tom was there every time.

So was his wife, my Aunt Liz, and their adult sons Paul and Chris.

As well as both of my sisters, their husbands, my brother, friends from church, family friends, my mom, and my dad.

Speaking of parents, what about my mom and dad?  They are always...ALWAYS...there whenever a need arises.  Moving, birthday party set-up, projects, sickness.  It doesn't matter.  They're there.  Usually physically, and always in spirit, offering moral support.  Whenever any of the kids are sick, my dad brings them balloons and a card.

And now that I'm married to Hugo, the family has grown.  His family is always there as well.  Helping us with our last (and final) move.  Making Halloween costumes (Alicia).  Making birthday cakes (Marina).  Making birthdays  and holidays special, and working hard to build relationships with the kids and me (every last one of the Ambriz').

Today, I am so thankful for my Family.

In the Crisis Years, the scales were definitely tipped in the whole family-help thing.  I was the one who always needed the help, but yet there was nothing left of me to give back.  Even though I knew that the dynamic was such that there was nothing I could do differently, it still bothered me terribly when I went to bed at night, and any other time I had a free minute to think.  I so hated not being able to give back to the family that was always there for us.

Now that Crisis has left our family, it is my pleasure to give it right back whenever I can.  But, as I think about everything Raudel, or Tom, or my dad have done in recent months, I don't feel like we have been able to properly reciprocate.

It's a great thing, being in a position to try and keep up with the family goodness.  Because that means we are doing for each other, and that's how it is supposed to be.

Many people are without their biological family for one reason or another, but we can definitely form a family from the people we give ourselves to.  In Nebraska I had The Merrimans, The Bocks, The Blocks, The Hewetts, The Loostroms, The Cools, The Rosentraters.  I love them so much, and I miss them all terribly.

Family is a gift, and a perfect plan from God.  The depth of love that flows within a family is a Wonder of the World, and I don't know why it hasn't officially been stated as such.

My Family is beautiful.  I am so thankful, so grateful for each of them.

OK.  Another twofer.  I'm also thankful for fixed dryers, and cleaned out pipes.  Thank you Raudel!

No comments:

Post a Comment