Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Hugo's Day as a Nascar Redneck

It's been a challenging week for the Ambriz Family.  First the leak, which was properly followed up by a weekend of roof repairs.  Then Raudel, who is married to Hugo's sister Alicia, lost his grandfather Sunday morning.

Now, it's surgery for the original Papi Ambriz, Hugo's dad Mariano, as his gall bladder has decided it no longer wants to be in his body.  So, I thought my husband, and sisters and brothers in law could use a happy walk down Memory Lane.

Last August, Hugo cashed in on the birthday gift his siblings got him last December 6.  It was a Gift Voucher for a bazillion laps of NASCAR racing at the Toyota Speedway at Irwindale.  It wasn't a bazillion laps.  But the event was way back in August, so I can't remember that particular detail from so long ago.

I have some fun pictures I'd love to share.  Partly because they capture so much fun, and partly because it is a miracle that I was able to get as many beautiful shots as this!!  Photography...well, not my thing.

Hugo went through an hour-long orientation class inside, before we ever came out to the stands, which is where we sat while we waited for his track time.  The kids sat through it like champions.  Lee started to get antsy, but Uncle Raudel and Aunt Alicia were to the rescue, giving him the opportunity to sit with them, which gave him a change of scenery.  By the time we were in the stands, we had been waiting a long time.  Hugo ended up being in the last group to go out to drive, so when it was said and done, it was something like 8 or 9 years that we were there total.  Or was that in dog years?  Again, I can't remember all of the details.  August was a long time ago.  I just remember we had to wait a long time, and I was soooooo happy I brought along some toys for Lee to play with.


Isn't this a great picture of a bunch of great people?!  So relaxed, so happy.  Not one of them experienced the HIGH anxiety of this mama snapping the shot.  Was it the fact that we were sitting up in bleachers, and I'm not a fan of heights?  Or of the prospect of children falling through that gap between the seat, and the metal plank we call a floor?  Or the prospect of toys or phones or cameras falling through said gap?

Who knows.  Just that I was a little tense.  Not Hugo, in the following shot!  Check out the babe taping Hugo's ear buds into his ears!  But, I loved the wannabe Sprint Girl, because she was securing my husband's critical form of communication.  They stressed in the class the importance of being able to hear the spotters at all time.
Look at him, all geared up!  I love the fire suit.  Fast cars and their gasoline make the fire suit a good friend.  Look at the kids in the background.  Look bored?
And alas, he's in the car.  Doesn't he look awesome?!  I'm thinking about looking for a sponsor or two.  This guy looks like he's made for racing!  At this point, his excitement melted away my anxiety.  I was so pumped up for him!

Hugo is in the Dodger car.  Which meant that if things didn't go our way, we had license to beat up anyone talking smack.  That's how we roll in LA.  Hey, at least it wasn't a Raiders car.  

I love this shot because Hugo's brother Luis is taking a picture too.  You can't tell, but Luis wanted out there so badly, he could taste it!  Guess what he got for his birthday last month.  You got it.  A bazillion laps, just like Hugo.
This photo must have been taken after the burnout.  Look at how proud they both are!  OK, there wasn't really a burnout.

Guess who got to get in the car?  He is so little!
What fun!  They even got a Checkered Flag to wave.
This is Hugo's sister Alicia.  All of his siblings are crazy into Nascar.  They travel all over the US to see races.  They are, without a doubt, the whitest Mexicans I have ever known in my entire life.
Yeah, do you have any idea how hard it is for me to time the picture just right so that the flag is flowing, but not in their face?!  This is Hugo's other sister, Laura.  Glad I captured it.
What?!  The Aunts are hamming it up?!  Gimme a piece of that!  This is my Abi.  Being herself.
This would be all 5 of the Ambriz Siblings present, including Olivia in the front whom I didn't snap by the car like the others. :(  Maybe I did, but the flag was probably in her face.  I did find a picture of an unfaced person being smothered by the checkered flag.  Bet it was her.

Marina and Elsa, Hugo's other sisters, might not be visible to the naked eye, but they were there in spirit. But they weren't naked in spirit.  Fully clothed, those two, and having a great time, I'm sure.

It was an amazing day of fun, celebrating Hugo's birthday, though 8 months after the fact.  He has another birthday coming up in December.  I bet I know what is going to be on his list.  Especially if Luis cashes in on his turn anytime soon.

Thank you Ambriz' for such a fun day!!!

By the way, Mariano Ambriz came through surgery just fine.  Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment