Friday, February 17, 2012

The Passing of Uncle Dave, a Great Man

Today, the world lost one of its greatest men.

Uncle Dave passed away just before dawn.  He was a man loved by my children and me, as he was married to their grandmother's sister.

I first met Dave in 1987, the year I married my first husband.  He was a man of science, but more than that, he was a man of honor.  Marrying his wife and her little girls, and becoming their dad in every sense of the word.  He went on to have a son, whom he raised well.

Dave was the kind of man who was always busy, taking care of his home.  He would host the best parties, where everyone was relaxed and had a sense of being welcome.  Everyone loved being at his house.  Laughter was a natural by-product, and nobody ever felt uncomfortable in his presence.

His kindness was sincere.  His interest in the lives of his family and friends was heartfelt.

I used to observe him, and his obvious love and devotion to his wife and children.  The way he was so in tune to their needs, that he'd have them met before anyone else knew a need was there.

I'd seriously spend time thinking about how he took on his wife, and her daughters, to care for an love with intense devotion.  I so admired him for that.

When my first marriage was over, I would think of the kind of man I wished I'd have for myself and children.  Dave's character always stood out, and I'd think to myself that if I were ever to re-marry, I'd want a man who was good, like Dave.

When I met Hugo, it wasn't a conscious thing, where I stopped and actually said, "Good gawd, this man is JUST like Uncle Dave!"  But at some point after we were together, the thought did come to me, and I realized that I had married a man who is very much like him in character, and in actions.  All the way down to taking on the raising of children who so very desperately need him, and all his stability.  This made me smile.

Hugo never got to know Dave, unfortunately, because Parkinson's had taken over Dave's brain, and body, and by the time Hugo and I married, Dave was pretty much non-verbal.  But, he has been graced with stories of this man, and the depth with which I loved and admired him.

A man of the sea, Dave's remains will be scattered over the Pacific Ocean after science has a chance to look into his body, to learn what they can, and do what they can to advance Parkinson's research.  So typical of Dave, to be giving back, even in his death.

I will always love and remember Dave with respect and fondness.  He was one of the Greats, and I am forever grateful that I had the pleasure to know such a man.

No comments:

Post a Comment